Sunday, September 13, 2009

Just the Boys

As much as I hate airing my own dirty underwear, there are times when it's handy to pull out of memory, one of my own experiences in order to share a thought. Most of these involve a highly abusive personality, I'm ashamed to have ever been acquainted with, much less married to.

Today, is one of those times and while most of you will tilt your head in wonder about some folks, there are also many of you, pulling off these same stunts. I share this with you to get a point across.

"I'm just going out with the boys", is not a great thing to say to your wife. Especially if you've just come home from work and headed for the shower, then shaved and splashed on after shave before putting on your best clothes. Some how this doesn't relate. Why would a guy go to so much trouble just to be with the 'boys'?

She may not say anything but I guarantee, she's thinking it. What's worse, the day may come when her eyebrows raise as the realization begins to dawn on her that maybe, just maybe, he really was going out with the boys. An even worse thought than her first.

When after several of these occasions, she begins to wonder why she's not going out with you and you offer her the explanation of 'where I'm going is not suitable for a woman', what exactly are you telling her? Where would you be going that's not also suitable for your wife? If it's not good enough for your wife, then it's not good enough for you.

If you love your wife and want to keep her, never offer up an excuse for spending a night away from her. Especially if there's only one car between you and she doesn't have plans of her own, the same night. The more time you spend apart from each other, on a Saturday night, the easier it is to make the transition to a permanent situation.

I'm not talking about those special occasions like a bachelor's party, showers, etc. I'm talking about a weekend habit.

You can take my advice or leave it but if I were you, I'd give it some serious thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment